Learn to control your weight and not let your weight control you...Education is KEY!
How to Eat Well on a Budget
June 21, 2017
Eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive. Consider these tips to help you life a healthier lifestyle on a budget:
1. Before you go shopping, take time to plan your meals and make a specific list of what and how much you plan to buy. Make sure you take advantage of coupons and sales!
2. To avoid impulse buying, do your shopping when you are not hungry and not too rushed.
3. Plan & Prep! Cut up fresh product for quick snacks. Prepare meals that can be done in advance. Double up your recipes and freeze the leftovers for meals later in the week. Prepping is also a great way to make sure you're eating what's in the fridge to help minimize waste.
4. Instead of buying chicken piece by piece, plan menus to include meals that use legs, thighs, and breasts all on different nights. Whole chickens run about $1.16 per pound versus as much as $5 of $6 per pound for individual pieces.
5. Buy fresh produce when it's in season and freeze it. Consider stocking up when you find a good deal.
6. Watch for sales on frozen vegetables.
7. Try less expensive cuts of meat. Using a slow cooker will make tougher cuts of meat tender and juicy.
8. Going to the farmers market at the end of the day when you may very well score some great deals since sellers want to unload as much as possible before they close up for the day!
9. When buying fish, buy the variety that is on sale. Consider choosing frozen fish fillets or fish steaks.
10. Consider growing your veggies, even if you just have time and room for a small garden, it can make a difference!